National Day of Recognition for the Nonprofit Sector!
National Day Recognizing the Nonprofit Sector
The Ask: The Bhayana Family Foundation, is requesting your endorsement for:
The creation of a Day of Recognition for staff of the Nonprofit Sector Nationally and in Alberta and British Columbia
We are recommending this to shine a light on the critical role of the Nonprofit professionals. Their work on the frontlines is indispensable but unlike police, firefighters, and medical personnel, it is often invisible. The pandemic created by COVID-19, has highlighted the remarkable contributions of the nonprofit sector- many of the services are designated as essential by the Provincial Governments across Canada.
The Government of Nova Scotia created Canadian history by proclaiming October 14, 2020, as a Day of Recognition for the Nonprofit Sector. Ontario’s Bill 9, passed in 2021, legislates a Week of Appreciation for the Nonprofit Sector in perpetuity every third week of February.
How is the Nonprofit Sector contributing to our economy?
Canada’s nonprofit and charitable sector is a large driver of economic and social development. There are 83,000 registered non-profits and charities operating in communities across Canada with 2.4 million people contributing $192 billion in economic impact.
The Social Return on Investment (SROI) of a Day of Recognition includes:
1. Public awareness and recognition of the economic and social contribution the sector makes.
2. Appreciation of the quantifiable social return on investment provided by this sector. Analytical data on the societal value of the charitable and nonprofit sector is emerging. For example, a Boston Consulting Group study about the quantifiable return on investment of Pathways to Education estimated the program delivered $600,000 in cumulative societal benefit per student enrolled. Similar studies on Big Brothers Big Sisters estimated that for every dollar spent, the return was $18-$23.
3. Research on the Value of Recognition of Employees in unequivocal: it re-ignites motivation, enhances productivity and loyalty.
4. Enhanced ability to attract a new generation of young people to the nonprofit
5. Influences giving as it reinforces donor confidence in an organization.
Please join us by signing on to this Advocacy!